20 Part Time Jobs that High School Students Can Do
Most of the high school students prefer to do part-time jobs in order to find money for their day to day expenses. However, managing a part-time job while attending high school is not something easy. They will have to balance their work along with studies, extra-curricular activities and hanging out with friends.
Should high school students really work?
Most of the teenagers don’t prefer to live with the money that they get from parents. They prefer to be independent and find their own expenses. That’s the main reason why high school students search for part-time job opportunities. Doing a part time job while attending high school is associated with pros and cons. However, the students will be able to outweigh all the cons by finding a less intensive part time job. Then they will be able to attend school every day, maintain good grades, engage with extra-curricular activities, socialize with friends and earn a decent income to cover up their day to day expenses. It can also deliver an invaluable experience to the students, which can help them in their future.
As a high school student, it is important to keep in mind that SAT test scores and a solid GPS is essential in order to gain college entrance. However, the colleges don’t just pay attention towards the grades. They prefer to get in well-rounded students. Therefore, a part-time job experience can be a valuable addition to the profile of any high school student. This can help them to demonstrate their perseverance, drive, determination and the ability to manage work.
The high school students who are planning to apply for part time jobs should have a clear understanding the child labor laws that exist in your state as well. For example, some states require the teenagers to have work permit in order to apply for job positions. On the other hand, teenagers are restricted in working for certain occupancies in some of the states. They will not be permitted to work during school hours as well. Once you have a clear understanding the laws, you can hunt for appropriate jobs with a hassle free mind.
What are the best part time jobs available for high school students?
Here is a list of part-time jobs that high school students can do with their capabilities. You can go through the job descriptions and apply for the best one based on your preferences.
- Personal Assistant Services – As a personal assistant, you will have to offer help for someone with basic day to day work. They include wrapping gifts, walking dogs, running errands etc. Usually, you will have to work for senior individuals who are not in a position to take care of the day to day activities on their own. You can easily find a personal assistant job from your neighborhood. You just need to create a simple flyer with all the services that you can offer and distribute it in your neighborhood. As a personal assistant, you will be able to earn around $10 per hour. The disadvantages associated with working as a personal assistant include being responsible for things and dealing with uptight clients.
- WordPress site manager – Most of the small businesses have their own websites, which have been created with the help of WordPress. Unfortunately, they don’t have enough time to be spent on updating these WordPress websites. As a result, they prefer to hire high school students as WordPress managers. If you have technical skills and if you are familiar with WordPress, this is one of the best opportunities available for you to earn a decent income. You will have to manage the website and keep it up to date. You will be provided with all the useful information and you just have to focus on updating. On top of everything, you will be able to work in the comfort of your home.
- Packing and moving services – People who are relocating to another part of the country require assistance with packing and moving their belongings. As a high school student, you can think of providing assistance for them at a reasonable price. You will have to work mostly during weekends. The good thing about this job is that the movers are insured and bonded. Therefore, you will be able to work with peace of mind. However, this is a tiring job and you will need to take occasional breaks in order to stay away from overexertion. It is important to stay hydrated as well.
- Copywriter or ghost writer – There is a significant demand for content writing. Therefore, this can be considered as another profitable part time job opportunity that high school students can do in order to make money from home. As a content writer, you will have to write articles, product reviews, landing page copies and emails. However, you need to be fluent in English in order to work as a content writer or a ghost writer. You can find plenty of opportunities to work through freelancing websites.
- Pizza Delivery – This is one of the best part-time job opportunities available for high school students who own a car along with a good driving record. Even though you won’t get paid much by working as a pizza delivery driver, you can be lucky enough to receive good tips. This part time job gives some sort of freedom to you as well. For example, you will be able to listen to your favorite music when you are driving back and forth.
- Lawnmower – If you are looking for a part time job that can allow you to get outside and enjoy the sunshine, this is bets option available to consider. Plenty of part-time job opportunities are available for lawn mowers during summer. Even though you have to spend a lot of effort, you will get paid well. During the winter, you can assist people to shovel snow from their sidewalks and driveways. However, you will have to work outdoors under extreme weather conditions when working as a lawn mower. Therefore, it is a good idea to set your own schedule along with rates.
- Grocery store employee – Grocery stores can be found in every corner of the country and they prefer to hire high school students throughout the year. In addition, a variety of job opportunities are available for high school students. You can operate the cash register, mop floors, stock shelves or bag groceries. You will be able to earn the minimum wage by working in a grocery store. You will also be able to experience a variety of benefits while working at a grocery store. Merchandise discounts, short shifts, and flexibility in schedule are to name a few.
- Babysitting – If you are looking for a part time job opportunity with more freedom, babysitting would be a good option available to consider. Usually, you will have to work on Friday and Saturday evenings as a babysitter. Therefore, you will be able to focus on your studies during the weekdays. On the other hand, babysitters get paid well. In other words, a babysitter will be able to earn about $15 per hour in most of the states. However, finding a babysitting job is not that easy because most of the people are looking for CPR certified babysitters.
- Photograph and document archival services – Most of the people are looking forward to get their old photos and documents scanned and archived. However, they don’t have enough time to do it because of their packed schedules. Therefore, high school students can think of assisting them with their photograph and document archival needs. The documents can be archived to Google Docs whereas the photographs can be archived to computer’s and DVD’s. You can earn around $0.25 for archiving a photo and $0.35 for archiving a document. However, you need to be careful when handling important documents and photographs to stay away from hassle.
- Car wash attendant – High school students prefer to work as car wash attendants because of its flexibility and freedom. You can find enough work during the hot summer months. In addition, you would never get bored by working as a car wash attendant. However, you will have to work for minimize wage and get soaked in water while working. But you can be lucky enough to win exciting tips and keep your car clean for free.
- Arts and crafts production artist – If you are a person who is equipped with artistic skills, you can think of working as an artist. You will even be able to work during the winter season. You can sell your work at arts and crafts fairs that take place throughout the year. You can also create handmade jewelry as an arts and crafts production artist. It is possible to start working with a minimum investment as well. However, you need to keep in mind that you won’t be able to receive a steady income by working as an arts and crafts production artist.
- Animal shelter worker – If you are a person who loves animals, this would be the ideal part time job opportunity available for you. Even though you will be paid with the minimum wage, you will get the opportunity to spend time with animals. If you have the dream of becoming a veterinarian someday, this experience would be extremely valuable. That’s because you will gain hands-on experience in working closely with different animals. However, you will have to face some uncomfortable instances when working as an animal shelter worker. For example, you will have to treat sick animals.
- Designer – This is another part time job opportunity that you can engage with at the comfort of your home. You need to be familiar with designing tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw in order to start working as a designer. If you know how to work with video editing applications such as Adobe Premier, you can think of becoming a video designer. The video designers can earn more money when compared to graphic designers. However, this job can be a little stressful because most of the clients don’t get satisfied with the very first design you send. As a result, you will have to work on multiple revisions.
- Social media curator – Social media marketing has received much attention in the recent past. Therefore, most of the businesses are looking for people who can manage their social media accounts on different platforms. The high school students can think of working as social media curators. As a social media curator, you will have to look for things that need to be shared on social media channels. In addition, you will have to schedule the posts and respond to customer concerns.
- Tutor – Most of the high school students work as tutors in order to earn some extra cash. If you are good with a specific subject, you can use that knowledge to help elementary students get good grades at school by working as a tutor. You don’t need to enroll with a corporate tutoring entity in order to start working as a tutor. You can simply offer your own services at a lower price tag. It can deliver a more personal experience to you as well. It is up to you to set your own hours and the amount you charge.
- Retail job – This is an easy part time job opportunity that is available for the high school students. If you love working with customers, this is one of the best opportunities that you can consider as well. On the other hand, stores prefer to hire high school students to fill up the vacancies that they have. Retail jobs can also deliver many other benefits to the high school students. Relatively light schedules, fast paced work environment and merchandise discounts are to name a few. However, you will have to work even during your weekends and deal with a lot of unhappy customers.
- Restaurant wait staff – High school students can also think of working as wait staff at restaurants. Most of the time, you will have to work according to shifts. Sometimes, you will even have to work till late night as well. It has been identified that the restaurant wait staff enjoy their work hours even though they have to deal with rude customers at times. They can receive good tips apart from their wages. The employees are also provided with free or discounted meals during their work hours.
- Web designer – If you have technical skills, you can start working as a website developer. This best thing about this part time job opportunity is that you will be able to work and earn money at the comfort of your home. All the entrepreneurs in today’s world are looking to get websites created. Therefore, you will not find it as a hard task to find clients. You can simply sign up with the popular freelancing websites out there and look for clients. However, you will have to spend long hours in front of your computer when working as a web designer.
- Distribution and warehouse job – If you want to get paid well, this is a good job opportunity available to consider. However, you will have to use your muscles throughout your working hours. That’s because you will have to deal with loading and unloading inventory in distribution centers and warehouses. You will be able to work during the evening hours so that you can attend school in morning. However, the work you have to do can be monotonous.
- Email marketing assistant – This is another job opportunity that was created as a result of the technological development. You will be able to work as an email marketing assistant from home. Your primary responsibilities would be to compose emails and schedule them. In addition, you will have to focus on replying incoming emails in an appropriate manner. Since this job is associated with a lot of flexibility, it would be an ideal opportunity available for the high school students. You will only have to work a couple of hours a day but you will be able to earn a decent amount of money.